Monday, January 10, 2011

Adrian's Traditions...

The second Christmas after Adrian's death, we decided to make ornaments in memory of Adrian and call it "Adrian's Traditions". I put a lot of effort into making these ornaments. I remember sitting up all hours of the night hot gluing and cutting my fingers up from putting feathers into the glass balls. With each ornament, I sent a card explaining the cause of the ornament's new tradition.

The following year, I noticed not many had put up the ornament on their trees. I know a few people who had, but the majority hadn't. That year I was so depressed that it just seemed like no matter what I did, no one gave a shit about my personal feelings regarding his death. He seemed to continue to be the elephant in the room. So I didn't even bother to make the ornaments for 2008.

Another Christmas went by in 2009, and again, I wasn't feeling up to making them. But this year, I had the wonderful help of Amelia helping make ornaments. Unfortunately the markers didn't dry up at all on the foam, and got marks everywhere, and then we forgot them all at home for every celebration during the holidays.

It is a start. And since the girls will be able to help, it'll make it just that much more fun to do every year. It'll help preserve innocence of their childhood, and will also help them understand who he is.


No comments:

Post a Comment